The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain the University of West Georgia's top priority. Campus leaders, including health experts, emergency management personnel and others, are closely monitoring the evolving Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak and the potential effects to campus including University Recreation. All updates and university communication can be found on the UWG COVID-19 website.
In accordance with the University of West Georgia's Coronavirus (COVID-19) response, All Campus Center and University Recreation operations, events, and programming that was originally planned to occur has now been suspended until further notice. This includes all event reservations that were to be held during this time.
Be on the lookout for each area to reach out directly in regards to how refunds will be handled during this time. UREC will make known any updates as information becomes available.
Due to COVID-19, we understand that renewing and/or collecting items from a locker is not feasible at this time. Therefore, UREC Lockers will not need to be renewed during the spring and summer semesters. Anyone with a current locker will be able to keep their belongings in that locker until campus resumes normal operations. After that, UREC will contact patrons with an official date where patrons will then have 30 days to renew their locker or to retrieve their items. We appreciate your flexibility during this time and hope you will renew with UREC in the future!
University Recreation is not only dedicated to providing updated information, but also maximizing this opportunity to provide virtual ways/resources to stay engaged while adhering to all Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Georgia Department of Health, and the University System of Georgia guidelines. Check out the following area resources and programming updates.
- West Georgia Outdoors Jump to content
- Fitness & Wellness Jump to content
- Sport Offerings Jump to content
- Internet Game Resources Jump to content
- Misc. Resources Jump to content
West Georgia Outdoors
Outdoor Photo Instagram Contest: June 1- 5
GIVEAWAY TIME: We at University Recreation are missing being able to go on WGO trips with everyone so we want you to post your favorite outdoor photo and tag us for a chance to win all of these UREC goodies. Entries can be you out in nature, your pets outdoors, or just a beautiful outdoor scenery view.
STEPS TO ENTER:
- Must be a UWG student, faculty, or staff
- Follow @urecuwg on Instagram
- Post photo to your personal Instagram and tag @urecuwg and use #UWGoutdoorphotocontest
Deadline to submit is Wednesday, June 3 at 5 p.m. Voting on the top 5 pics will be on the UREC Instagram on Thursday, June 4 and the winner will be announced on Friday, June 5.
All trips have been suspended during this time. Trip participants will be contacted directly regarding information about refunds.
All climbing activities and events have been suspended during this time.
There will be no rentals available during this time.
Virtual Outdoor Resources
- National Park Tours: This article provides several links to virtual tours of national parks.
- NOLS Official YouTube Channel: The National Outdoor Leadership School's YouTube channel is filled with a variety of outdoor skills and wilderness medicine how to's and instructional videos.
- AMGA Official YouTube Channel: The American Mountain Guides Association's YouTube channel is filled with a variety of rock climbing instructional videos.
- A Simpler Way: Crisis as Opportunity (2016) Documentary: This is a free-to-view, feature-length documentary that follows a community in Australia who have come together to explore and demonstrate a simpler way to live in response to global crises. Throughout the year, the group builds tiny houses, plants veggie gardens, practices simple living and permaculture principles, and discovers the challenges of living in community. This documentary was shot while the organization was living on the property for the entire year as part of the community. The documentary includes interviews with David Holmgren, Helena Norberg-Hodge, Nicole Foss, Ted Trainer, Graham Turner, and more. View the A Simpler Way trailer on YouTube.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fitness & Wellness
Summer Group Fitness Online Schedule: Coming Soon
Thank you to all who joined in with us during our live virtual group fitness classes that ended May 1, 2020. If you were not able to tune in or would like to retake a class, please visit our Group Fitness page for all videos. The content we are providing is solely intended for being distributed to our UWG students, faculty, staff, and alumni and should not be distributed or used for other purposes.
For more information, contact Liv Schneider at email@example.com.
- All personal training has been suspended. Clients will be contacted directly by their trainer with instructions/options about refunds.
- Les Mills Free At-Home Workouts: This platform is free to you during this time. It has workout options across eight different categories that are ready to play now. No subscription is required at this time, as all the videos are free! The workouts will remain open and available as long as the Cornovirus (COVID-19) situation continues.
- DownDog Yoga App: This app is offering free access until July 1 for all students and teachers (K-12 and college) due to many school closures taking place. To access the free school membership, please sign up with your .edu email address.
- ACE Exercise Library: Whether you're a beginning exerciser who needs help getting started or someone who wants to add some spice to your fitness routine, this library offers a variety of movements to choose from. Browse through total-body exercises or movements that target more specific areas of the body. Each comes with a detailed description and photos to help ensure proper form.
- Run the Edge: Un-Canceled Project: Through June 21, 2020, Run the Edge will be offering FREE virtual races (5k, 10k, 13.1, 26.2). You can either sync with Garmin, Fitbit, Apple or Strava, or enter your miles manually on the honor system. There are no times, no winners, no losers, just complete the distance and earn the un-canceled bibs.
- Nike Training Club: To help encourage that further, programming from NTC Premium a subscription-based service available in the U.S. that includes studio-style streaming workouts, progressive training programs (including bodyweight-only) and expert tips from our elite Nike Master Trainers, is now accessible at no charge. Beginning March 23, Nike’s social handles, nike.com and the Nike App will also offer new tips on mindset, movement, nutrition, recovery and sleep.
- Fitness Blender: They believe fitness should be accessible to everyone, everywhere, regardless of income or access to a gym. With hundreds of professional workouts, healthy recipes and informative articles, as well as one of the most positive communities on the web, you’ll have everything you need to reach your personal fitness goals – for free!
- Yoga With Adriene: Yoga with Adriene provides high quality practices on yoga and mindfulness at no cost to inspire people of all ages, shapes and sizes across the globe.
- OpenFit Free Trial: Enjoy an extended free trial to OpenFit for fitness and nutrition tips and help by using your .edu email address (required). If you are a student, enter code STUDENT2020. If you are a faculty/staff member, enter code EDUCATOR2020 on the checkout page.
For more information, contact Drew Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students can still submit the embedded form to join a team but there will be no in-person tryouts or practices during this time.
- All in-person recreational sport activities have been suspended during this time.
Recreational Sports is offering the following esport tournaments the week of June 22-25. All tournaments start at 8:00 p.m. EST
- June 22: FIFA 20 (Xbox One and PS4)
- June 23: NBA 2K (Xbox One and PS4)
- June 24: Super Smash Brothers Ultimate (Nintendo Switch)
- June 25: Madden 20 (Xbox One and PS4)
Register for each tournament through the UWG UREC Recreational Sports Battlefy website with your valid UWG 917#. These tournaments are open to all UWG students, faculty, and staff. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Trick Shot Video Competition
Congratulations to Parker Johnson for having the top basketball trick shot video and Garrett McGuire for having the top miscellaneous trick shot video.
Parker Johnson Basketball Trick Shot Video:
Garrett McGuire Hat Trick Shot Video:
Quarantine Quiz Show
Students, faculty, staff, and alumni are invited to join the nation-wide Quarantine Quiz Show! This live trivia show is streamed through Twitch every Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. EST and provides an opportunity to compete for prizes against other universities. To join, create a free Twitch account and visit twitch.tv/recwithoutborders to play.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internet Game Resources
UWG Counseling Center
Visit the While You Wait Counseling Center resource web page for virtual resources to help you feel better.
Volunteer & Service
For more information, contact email@example.com
Stay tuned for more programming opportunities and information. For questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.